Grblduino Mega Shield V1 Gantry Squaring

Use, set up, assembly help, and any other GRBLDuino related questions or comments.
imperatordavus

Grblduino Mega Shield V1 Gantry Squaring

Post by imperatordavus »

Hello everyone. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to set up Grbl on the Grblduino Mega Shield so that I get gantry squaring during the homing sequence.

The Eccentric Workshop Grbl version seems to be based on Grbl Mega 1.1e which does not have the auto squaring capability.

I tried to edit the config.h and cpu_map.h files from the Grbl-Mega-5X (still actively developed) github to work with this shield (has auto squaring capability), but I always end up messing something up and having it not compile in the end.

I really like this board because it is really well thought out and is a really easy way for me to drive everything on 36V, I just need the ability to clone the Y-axis and perform auto squaring during the homing sequence.

Is there any way to easily do this in your Grbl Branch or could you point me in the right direction if I need to start modifying Grbl-Mega-5x?

Thanks in advance!
imperatordavus

Re: Grblduino Mega Shield V1 Gantry Squaring

Post by imperatordavus »

After some soul searching, I realize that trying to modify Grbl-Mega-5x would be a royal PITA. Mostly because it is made to work with the ramps shield.

I placed an order for the Grblduino Uno V2 Shield on ebay today because I thought that it might work with standard Grbl 1.1h, which now supports dual axis and squaring. However, I chickened out and cancelled the order because I don't want to spend more money on another board that won't work for me (Sorry Eccentric Workshop, I promise to place another order if I can be reassured the Uno Shield V2 will work).

In short, will the Grblduino Uno V2 Shield work with Grbl 1.1h (dual y axis and squaring) without any editing to Grbl?

Thanks
EccentricWorkshop
Admin

Re: Grblduino Mega Shield V1 Gantry Squaring

Post by EccentricWorkshop »

imperatordavus wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:06 pm In short, will the Grblduino Uno V2 Shield work with Grbl 1.1h (dual y axis and squaring) without any editing to Grbl?
Nope, these boards are built on GRBL 1.1f and I haven't done any research into the work needed to be compatible with the newer version. Additionally, these boards don't, to the best of my knowledge, support the self-squaring gantry feature. I'd strongly encourage you to take the time to carefully build your machine straight and square rather than relying on forcing your steppers to accommodate. There is a very real risk of damaging the machine using this technique.
--------------------
Andy
Eccentric Workshop
Store - Tindie - eBay