Before I get started...

Use, set up, assembly help, and any other GRBLDuino related questions or comments.
brown.tyler

Before I get started...

Post by brown.tyler »

Hello everyone!

I'm just looking to make sure that I have everything straight in my head before I venture any further. I've been using a 3D printer for the past year but am new the world of CNC. I've been doing a lot of research towards building a CNC 5-axis foam mill/router in order to create remote control aircraft out of EPS foam. The plans for the frame, gantry and head are still a work in progress, however it all is for nothing if I can't get the electronics together to run it all.

Here is what I am planning on doing, if you could provide feedback if I'm on the right track or steer me there:

- Raspberry Pi running CNCJS
- Arduino Mega 2560 REV3 with the GRBLDuino Mega Shield V1 for up to 6-axis control
- 5 DRV8825 stepper motor drivers
- Limit switches
- Spindle
- Power supply for it all

Is this correct? CNCJS would be used to upload the gcode to the Mega with the GRBLDuino shield, which would then control the 5-axis system and spindle? Am I way off? Missing something?

Any help is much appreciated!
Andy

Re: Before I get started...

Post by Andy »

You're right on track. It's really pretty simple when thinking about it in the major blocks like this.

I haven't used CNCjs enough to know if it supports 5 axis. The usual hurdle for most is finding free software with support for more than 3 axes or 3 + rotary.
dkilzer

Re: Before I get started...

Post by dkilzer »

CNC router operates much the same as 3D printing, 3 axis xyz and extruder/spindle. Its just subtractive instead of additive.

I don't know if you are into designing 3D parts yet but if not there are a ton of designs on thingverse for cnc to 3d print. Even complete 3d mill designs.

I personally use Blender to create my own parts which is free to download if you don't have any design software. It's a bit of a learning curve but has a million tutorials out there. You can export stl files from Blender and slice with cura or whatever slicer you prefer and print them up. I just made some custom mounts for the laser module on my laser cutter, and have been working on a z axis also. It's a blast building these machines and the 3D printer is a big help for those odd parts you don't want to wait for.

Good luck with your design!