Arduino Mega lite shield and TB6600 clone axis

Use, set up, assembly help, and any other GRBLDuino related questions or comments.
Brewnix

Arduino Mega lite shield and TB6600 clone axis

Post by Brewnix »

Hi, So I have your Mega lite shield with 4 TB6600 Drivers. I would like to clone the Y axis for 2 steppers. Do I just daisy chain a jumper from Y axis "step" and "dir" to the appropriate ports of both TB6600 driver? And does ENA on the driver matter? I notice on the Mega shield there is a "DR EN". I have not found a setup with my TB6600 and your board. I'm thinking I am the first! Thanks for your help!
Attachments
TB6600 Clone Y.jpg
TB6600 Clone Y.jpg (160.33 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
TB6600 Clone Y.jpg
TB6600 Clone Y.jpg (160.33 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
EccentricWorkshop
Admin

Re: Arduino Mega lite shield and TB6600 clone axis

Post by EccentricWorkshop »

Yep, daisy chain them together. This allows each stepper to have it's own dedicated driver with identical input signals.

The TB6600 ENA is the same as DR EN. It is the driver enable line which allows you to turn the drivers on and off in software.
--------------------
Andy
Eccentric Workshop
Store - Tindie - eBay
Brewnix

Post by Brewnix »

Thanks of the fast reply. I'm thinking I don't need the DR EN. Maybe nice to have for? Easy enough to wire if I need. One more question
so wired up the Opti Isolator to the mega shield. The wires from X, Y and Z ports from the isolator to the shield is only one wire? On the mega lets say for Y axis it shows 2 "Y lim" I wired one wire from each Y isolator to the each Y lim port on the mega. But there is a vacant port next to it should that get a GND wire or leave it blank? I can take a pic if it doesn't make sense. Thanks!
EccentricWorkshop
Admin

Some drivers are enabled by default and others need the connection.

For the limit switch connections, there is one wire each for signal and a common ground. They share the ground terminal at the bottom of the board with the +5v input.

For the connections to the controller, you'll only use one of the two ports available on each limit switch terminal block - one is the signal and the other is either 5v or ground, depending on the jumper setting.

Here's a diagram:
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections.png
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections.png (97.65 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections
LSI - GDMLV1 Connections.png (97.65 KiB) Viewed 7518 times

The limit switch connections can go to either of the terminal blocks on the controller but they need to go into the left socket of the pair as that's connected to the Arduino input pin.
--------------------
Andy
Eccentric Workshop
Store - Tindie - eBay
Brewnix

Post by Brewnix »

Thanks again! I appreciate the pic that helps out a lot!
Brewnix

Post by Brewnix »

Hi again! I got the machine up and running and successfully homed to what I might believe might be home. I did have a couple of crashes and trashed some limit switches but that was my fault! And I am still working out the GRBL settings. I have a question about the Spindle Enabled. So I bought a 500w spindle off amazon just to get me going. It has a + and - ports from 0 to 10 VDC its labeled on power supply. I am thinking that the mega is not producing 10VDC but a PWM signal completely different right? 2 diff signals? My spindle analog 0-10VDC, mega is digital. I did try to see if there was any voltage from the port "Spindle Enabled, Speed and Direction" was producing but nothing. Thanks for your help shield and optic isolator working good I have not cut anything but getting close.
EccentricWorkshop
Admin

Brewnix wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 am I am thinking that the mega is not producing 10VDC but a PWM signal completely different right? 2 diff signals? My spindle analog 0-10VDC, mega is digital. I did try to see if there was any voltage from the port "Spindle Enabled, Speed and Direction" was producing but nothing.
Your assumption about PWM is correct. GRBL maps the PWM output (0-5v) based on the settings of $30 where 5v equates to the full RPM setting of $30 and 0v is disable when at or below the minimum threshold set with $31. More details are on the GRBL Wiki. You could likely use a PWM to voltage converter such as this one from Amazon to control your spindle.

For the spindle enable pin, it will be at 5v when turned on (M03 S5000 for example) and at 0v when turned off (M05). For the spindle direction, M04 (spindle CCW) will put the pin to 5v (which will persist through an M05) and M03 will put the pin to 0v.
--------------------
Andy
Eccentric Workshop
Store - Tindie - eBay
Brewnix

Post by Brewnix »

Hi got a silly question for you. So I bought the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC ... UTF8&psc=1 So I think I might of borked the converter I reversed the PWM 5vdc lead from mega to the converter. Since there is a Opti coupler on it would the 5 volts backwards ruin the board? Obviously my mistake. Got another one on the way, I did do some trbl shooting and verified and flipped the PWM leads so they are correct but I think its to late! Check it out!
PIC of Franken Machine I followed the Sphinx design from a designer off OpenBuilds Forum. Kind of Homely and not too neat in the wiring. But the box I had it in felt to cramped and I am constantly changing things so I placed it on a piece of plywood for easy access. Building AV8B Cockpit for flight sim here are some panels that I router out already. I do have to upgrade the Z axis sooner or later I would like to router non ferrous metals but I have to upgrade from 3d printed Z plate to metal.
Making Simulator for flight sim AV8B cockpit.
EccentricWorkshop
Admin

Brewnix wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm Hi got a silly question for you. So I bought the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC ... UTF8&psc=1 So I think I might of borked the converter I reversed the PWM 5vdc lead from mega to the converter. Since there is a Opti coupler on it would the 5 volts backwards ruin the board? Obviously my mistake. Got another one on the way, I did do some trbl shooting and verified and flipped the PWM leads so they are correct but I think its to late! Check it out!
I can't find a datasheet for that specific optocoupler (C817C) but the equivalent Lite-On LTV-817 I use can handle up to 6v reverse voltage. It should be able to survive 5v but you never know with unbranded/unidentifiable parts.
--------------------
Andy
Eccentric Workshop
Store - Tindie - eBay
Brewnix

Post by Brewnix »

Ok well maybe it was borked on delivery. I'll have to pay better attention before I wire it up. Thanks!